Monday, October 24, 2011

Suzie's Farm: Week 1

This week I begin a trial run in the next CSA I'm trying as part of the CSA Smackdown:

Suzie's Farm

Suzie's Farm doesn't offer a "trial" period so the shortest subscription you can purchase is 6 weeks. Since there is no trial period, there is also no pesky "new joining/registration" fee that some others have.

Reading some reviews on Yelp, I saw that there were some complaints about the boxes containing too many vegetables and not enough fruit, but for me, this is probably a good thing. :) They also do not allow any substitution of items as Inland Empire did. However, their prices are cheaper. I was on a small box at the Inland Empire CSA for almost $35/box and the small box at Susie's is $18/box. Since the regular size box was only $25 (still less than Inland Empire's small box), I went ahead and signed up for the large box. It was $150 for 6 weeks ($25/box).

I picked up my first box yesterday at the Hillcrest Farmer's Market. The boxes are all in the back of a big truck and they expect you to bring your own bags, transfer the produce to your bags, and break down your box. I checked off my name and put all of the produce into my 2 bags. They were pretty heavy bags when I was done! One nice thing I noticed is that there is a printed list of everything in the box so I know exactly what I'm getting. Another nice thing is that a couple of recipes related to the box contents were also included:


Here is what week 1's box contained:
  • 4 cucumber (2 lb 6.75 oz)
  • 3 green peppers (11.25 oz)
  • tomatoes (1 lb 3.5 oz)
  • 2 brown onions (1 lb 14 oz)
  • sweet pepper mix (7.25 oz)
  • 1 butternut squash (1 lb 7.5 oz)
  • 1 bunch mint (1.5 oz)
  • 2 small heads of butter lettuce (9.25 oz)
  • 1 bunch celery (10.5 oz)
  • purple onions with the greens on (11.75 oz)
  • 8 zucchinis (1 lb 11 oz)
  • basket of jalapenos (8 oz)
  • 1 green melon (don't know what kind) (7 lb .5 oz)
  • dragon beans (8 oz)

The interesting items in the bunch were the dragon beans:


What am I going to do with these?

Otherwise, I'm thinking this box screams CHILI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...