Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Homegrown Heirloom Tomatoes and Basil Makes Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce

This year my tomatoes have taken over.  Maybe it is the mild summer with a few spurts of hot weather.  Maybe it's where I planted the tomatoes this season in the garden.  Whatever it is, all my tomato plants have become bushes.  They are huge and keep giving and giving.  This is my third batch of the season.  Luscious heirloom tomatoes. 


I decided to use some tomatoes to make a different pasta sauce.  And since my basil has continued to grow even now, I decided on a tomato basil sauce.  Here's what I came up with:

2 italian sausage links
8 small/medium sized tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon corn starch
1/4 cup water
2 cloves of garlic, diced

1. Cook italian sausages in sauce pan.
2. Toss in the tomatoes and stir until they begin to fall apart, ~5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add the basil, olive oil, garlic salt, salt, and pepper.
4. Slowly stir the corn starch into the mixture and cook until it begins to thicken, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Add water. 
6. Mix garlic into the sauce and simmer another 5 minutes.



And viola!  Topped over some quinoa pasta (for the gluten free diet).  Hmmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...