Saturday, December 4, 2010

Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes and Molasses Cookies

The cool weather has brought me into the spirit of comfort, savoury foods.  Not really planning on making a meal with things that start with "M", I ended up with meatloaf and mashed potatoes with molasses cookies for dessert. 

Today, I started my holiday baking.  I try to bake 1-2 items each weekend, freeze them and then pull them out of the freezer when they're ready to give out.  I have 5 items on this year's bake list.  Hubby decided he wanted molasses cookies first.  (He's my taste tester.)  I used this recipe from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen.  It makes about 50 soft, chewy, molasses cookies that are both gluten free and vegan.  I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out just as she says "soft".  Hubby was surprised how well they turned out.  He thinks most of the gluten free things I bake taste grainy.  And when he finds out I took out or substituted butter or milk, he tells me its dry because there is no fat.  This time, he's not happy that I didn't leave enough for him to eat because they're going out to family and select few loved ones.  I guess this recipe is a keeper.


Next was dinner... Meatloaf... back to my comfort food... I looked at a few recipes and comments on All Recipes and ended up putting a whole bunch of stuff together to make a simple meatloaf

1.25 lbs of ground turkey
1 egg
1 onion, chopped
1 cup almond milk (there's that milk substitute)
1 cup gluten free bread crumbs (another substitute)
2 tbsp of Italian seasoning
splash of worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all that together in a big bowl.  Place in a lightly greased 9x5 pan.

2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1/3 cup ketchup

Mix well in a small bowl. Spread over meatloaf mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Viola! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...