Sunday, September 25, 2011

Inland Empire CSA: Weeks 2 and 3

Since I'm already in week 3 of the Inland Empire CSA, I'll do a recap and post what was in each box.

Week 2's box:
  • heirloom tomatoes (3 lb 5.5 oz)
  • 3 large grapefruits
  • oranges (1 lb 2.25 oz)
  • fingerling potatoes (12.75 oz)
  • 2 small heads of garlic
  • 3 small passionfruits (3.5 oz)
  • 3 small onions, brown (6 oz)
  • 1 Thai? eggplant (5.5 oz)
  • bag of arugula (10.5 oz)
  • melon (not sure what type) (2 lb 1.5 oz)
  • bunch of radishes, which I swapped out for a bunch of collards

I did pretty well with Week 1's box and was able to eat everything in it. The only thing I didn't particularly enjoy were the radishes. I don't normally buy them and were at a loss at what to do with them. I tried putting them in a salad but found they had too much bite for me. I sauteed them a bit and they tasted "okay" but not wonderful. I ended up giving the rest away to a coworker who loves radishes. However, I was able to eat the radish greens. I sauteed those up with some cauliflower and made a curry out of it.

I had some lazy lunches and dinners (i.e. went out to eat) during week 2 so I wasn't able to use everything up. By the end of week 2, I still had 1.5 grapefruits, 1 passionfruit, 1 onion, the eggplant, and 1/2 of the arugula.

week 3 box

Today I picked up the box for week 3. There were 3 large grapefruits in it again. I like grapefruit and the ones I had were very sweet, but there is only so much of it I can eat! I swapped those out for several bunches of green leaf lettuce and one small bunch of Swiss chard.

Week 3's box:
  • fingerling potatoes (1 lb)
  • 4 brown onions (1 lb 6 oz)
  • bunch of collards (8.25 oz)
  • bunch of radishes (1 lb)
  • heirloom tomatoes (2 lb 1.5 oz)
  • green leaf lettuce (1 lb)
  • swiss chard (11.5 oz)
  • yellow crookneck squash (1 lb 2.75 oz)
  • 3 cucumbers (1 lb 1.5 oz)
  • 4 Thai eggplants (8.75 oz)
  • melon, not sure what kind? (2 lb, .75 oz)
  • melon, not sure what kind (2 lb 6.25 oz)

Looks like I have to figure out something to do with the Thai eggplants. And what to do with the radishes?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...