Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Suzie's Farm: Week 3

Since I wasn't able to make it to the Hillcrest Farmer's Market this morning, I arranged to have my box picked up at the Poway Farmer's Market. I like that the Suzie's Farm CSA website allows you to easily switch the location. I had never been to the Poway market before and although it is smaller than Hillcrest, there is still a good number of fruit and veggie booths and not a lot of craft ones (a plus!).

This week's box contained:
  • red russian kale (5.25 oz)
  • cabbage cone (1 lb 5.5 oz)
  • basket of serrano and cherry bomb peppers (6 oz)
  • more zucchini (2 lb 7.5 oz)
  • 2 bunches onion purplette (4.5 oz)
  • 1 bunch parsley (2.25 oz)
  • 2 golden treasure peppers (4.5 oz)
  • 2 red bell peppers (5.75 oz)
  • 1 red kabocha squash (1 lb 13.25 oz)
  • 1 bunch radish (8.5 oz)
  • pea shoots (4 oz)
  • cannellini beans (shelled weight = 4.75 oz)

I'm not sure if I'm not trying as hard to use my produce (possible - I haven't been cooking as much this week) or if Suzie's Farm is giving me more food than the Inland Empire CSA (possible - I was getting their "small" box), but I have a lot of leftover produce from last week. I still have the zucchini (with more zucchini this week!), 1/2 of the onion purplette (I'm finding it hard to figure out what to do with these), radish greens, and some peppers.

I am enjoying the selection so far (with the exception of maybe the 3 weeks of onion purplette and zucchini), and also that most of the box is VEGETABLES! The only other complaint is what to do with all the "hot" peppers. As a person who doesn't eat hot peppers, I have had a basket of them every week. I usually use serrano peppers in salsa, but I don't know if I can use a whole basket of them. And the cherry bombs? Are those hot?? I haven't seen those before. Maybe Maddie the crazy hot-pepper eating dog wants to try one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...