Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sweet and Chunky Plum Jam

My first time ever making homemade jam... I tried the easier, 30 minute, no boil, freezer jam.


1) Wash and rinse nine 1 cup jars and lids
2) Wash 3 lbs of sweet plums. Discard pits (do not peel) and chop plums with food processor. If you like chunky jam like me, pulse with the food processor not puree.
3) Mix in the juice of 4 lemons. I used 1/2 cup lemon juice instead of fresh lemons.
4) Gradually stir in 1 packet of pectin, mixing thoroughly. Set aside for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to dissolve pectin thoroughly.
5) Pour 1 cup of light corn syrup into fruit mixture. I only had 1/2 cup of corn syrup left so hopefully it still comes out okay.
6) Stir in 4.5 cups of sugar until all the sugar is dissolved. I wanted to lessen the sugar because I always find homemade jam too sweet. But the directions specifically said not to reduce sugar or substitute it.
7) Pour mixture into containers, leaving 1/2 inch space at the top for expansion in the freezer.
8) Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours until set. The jam can keep for 3 weeks in the refrigerator or 1 year in the freezer.
Can't wait to taste tomorrow... I'll share my finished product with you...

2 comments:

  1. Not as thick and jam-like as I hoped but still good. I will bring you some tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...