Sunday, September 12, 2010

Yogurt and Honey Quickbread

I haven't had bread or any form of bread for at least 2 weeks. I have been craving bread. So one of my BFFs gave me a recipe for Honey Yogurt Quickbread but her "recipe" was basically only the ingredients and said bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 mins and then cool in pan for 10 mins. That didn't really tell me much. I could make a guess at what to do like put the dry ingredients first. But when it comes to gluten free baking recipes, I'm not quite the "baker" or even close to it yet... considering this is my first weekend of testing the baking waters. I looked up the recipe on the web and I found it on this forum though it's called Yogurt and Honey Quickbread.

I followed the recipe mostly but made a few changes to the ingredients. So here's my version of Yogurt and Honey Quickbread.

Dry Ingredients:
2 cups Four Flour Bean Mix (2/3 cup garfava flour, 1/3 cup sorghum flour, 2 cups cornstarch)
1.5 tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1.5 tbsp sugar

Wet Ingredients:
3 eggs plus 1 egg white
3 tbsp Earth Balance vegan organic shortening, melted
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar
3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup water

1) Mix together dry ingredients in bowl.

2) Combine eggs, shortening, honey and vinegar in a mixer and blend well. Add the yogurt and water and beat until smooth.
[Note: I was concerned about this recipe because I used shortening versus butter. I am allergic to cow's milk so butter is out of the question. While mixing the shortening in Step 2, the shortening started to solidify. I wasn't sure how the recipe would turn out.]

3) Slowly incorporate the dry mixture and mix thoroughly.

4) Pour into a lightly greased and floured bread pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely.
[Note: I baked it for 30 minutes on a convection oven.]

The finished product looked as so. The dough doubled in size from the pan while it was baking. I thought the bread was getting too brown at the top around 20 minutes in. So at 30 minutes, I tested and it was surprisingly done.


The first slice. It looked like any other regular bread.


Inside

The bread was moist and slightly sweet. A great bread for jam and preserves. I am excited to have bread in my tummy again - gluten free and dairy free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...