Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Surati Farsan Mart



The J-Wongs + K were in town and we decided to check out one of the many restaurants on my "to-try" list, Surati Farsan Mart. It's located in a small shopping center off of Miramar and Black Mountain Road, surrounded by other Indian businesses. They serve Gujarathi food and the prices are very reasonable. We walked through the doors and quickly noticed we were the only non-Indian folks inside. Must be authentic! :)





The place is clean and the staff were very friendly, explaining what some of the items were and later asking if we enjoyed the food. It is casual and everything is served on disposable plates and bowls on plastic trays.

We had stopped in earlier in the week and grabbed a menu on the way out. Since we know very little about Indian food, Jon asked one of his Indian friends, who is from that region, to make some recommendations. We started with those:



Pani Puri ($3.50) - these were deep-fried pockets filled with a potato and bean mixture. Some kind of spicy mint syrup was served with it, which made the little puffs more delicious.



Bhel Puri ($3.50) - This tasted like puffed rice cereal mixed with cilantro, potatoes, onions, beans, and other spices. It was a tasty combination.



Masala Dosa ($3.99) - This is a thin rice crepe, wrapped around a spiced potato filling. It is served with a coconut chutney and a vegetable soup. I tried to eat some of the soup alone, but it was a bit too peppery for me. I was coughing.



Chole Samosa ($3.99) - This was my favorite, but I am a chickpea-lover. The bowl contained a spicy chickpea curry with 2 crispy vegetable samosas. I loved how the crispy samosas dissolved and softened into the warm curry.



K tried the Chai tea and enjoyed it. It tasted sweet but we were told there was no sugar added to it. There were some other interesting drinks on the menu, including one with lychee! Must try next time.

We were still game to try a couple more items so put in another order:



Khaman ($3.50) - This had an interesting flavor! Not at all what we expected it to taste like. I'm not sure what we expected but because of its plain appearance, I wasn't expecting something so flavorful. These are steamed squares made of chana flour and served with a green chutney.



Delhi Chaat ($3.99)- This was described as crushed fried whole wheat shells mixed with potatoes and beans. It had some kind of sweet and spicy sauce mixed into it and was topped with yogurt. It was good, but I liked the other dishes better.



With a spread like this, we had to try a few desserts! We had no idea what to order, but Jon and Kameran talked to an Indian woman in line who gave her recommendations. This is what we ended up with:





I'm not completely sure about the names of the things we had but my guess is that we tried a dried fruit barfi, bundi ladoo, mango barfi, sutar feni barfi, jalebi, and barfi.

Overall, we were not fans of the desserts. I think they are spiced too differently from what we're used to. The two must-haves that everyone seemed to be eating were the regular barfi and jalebi. Sadly, I probably liked these the least. The caradamom in the barfi overwhelmed me and tasted too strong. The jalabi, which was fried dough in a sugary syrup was far too sweet for me. My favorite was probably the dried fruit barfi... it was simple and not too sweet. The desserts weren't necessarily bad, just not for me.

Our overall experience at Surati Fusan Mart was positive. I'd definitely come back to eat and try more of the numerous items on the menu. I'll just skip the desserts next time.

1 comment:

  1. Great informative wong food post. I get more information from this. I am delighted to have found this post.This is exactly what i was looking for. Keep up the good work. I really like your blog and will recommend it.or more information please visit it : Indian Food in Austin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...