Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Belated Christmas Party

From wong food!

So it's mid-January, I'm settling back into San Diego after a stint in the Bay Area. The Christmas spirit is waning as I throw away the boxes from my last few presents when I get a phone call from my friend K.

"...sooooo I really wanted to have a christmas party this year but wasn't able to get it together BEFORE christmas, so I'm having it this weekend. Can you come?"

pshh, like I would pass an opportunity to see my best friend, much less attend an event that extends all things wonderful: fuzzy sweaters, presents, and baking.

I had just finished reading my Real Simple christmas magazine and came across this recipe. What timing! And I hadn't found a sugar cookie I liked much until this one.

Basic Sugar Cookie Dough- adapted from Real Simple
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the work surface
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

  1. In your stand mixer, mix all the wet ingredients, then gradually add all the dry ingredients until a stiff dough has formed.
  2. Lay down a sheet of parchment paper, put half the dough dough and lay another sheet of parchment on top. Roll it out to about 1/4" thick. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
  3. Cut each slab of dough into a square shape. Eat the scraps :)
  4. Freeze for about an hour.
  5. Take out slabs and cut into 2" squares. Work quickly, as the dough will soften up reallllll fast and it gets gooey. Move the baby squares to a baking pan and bake for 12-15 minutes, until just browned on the edges.
  6. While the cookies cool, start up a double boiler and melt some dark chocolate until smooth. Throw a small pat of butter in there, maybe a tablespoon. (Just a warning here: DO NOT let any water get into your chocolate or it will seize. Do not try to make it milk chocolate by adding half and half, it doesn't have enough fat. I *may* have done this and it didn't work well...)
  7. Dip your cookies in the melted chocolate and lay down on a silpat or parchment paper. I actually just grazed the top of the cookie over the chocolate.
  8. Crush up some candy canes and sprinkle on top.
  9. Let cool thoroughly and eat until sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...