Thursday, January 21, 2010

Torch me!

R got a creme brulee set for Christmas. While I'm generally not a fan of creme brulee (yes, even at Donovan's), I told him I'd make the custards and we'd torch them together.

I wasn't quite sure what was in creme brulee but when I started looking for recipes, I became even less of a fan. The basic mixture consists of heavy cream, egg yolks, and sugar. Can we say heart attack?

I decided on making Alton Brown's version since I generally enjoy his recipes. It wasn't difficult at all and in 15 minutes, I was ready to fill the ramekins.

Unfortunately, the ramekins that came in the creme brulee set were impossibly tiny and I ended up with WAY more custard than ramekins! They might have held all of 2 ounces each. I had reserved 2 ramekins for myself (more on that later), and luckily had a couple of 4 oz ramekins, but even after that, I still had mixture left! I ended up filling a pie plate with the rest. Yes, it's a creme brulee lover's fantasy!

I didn't want to ingest the high quantities of cream and egg yolks so I made my own vegan version out of tofu. Mmmmm.... tofu. You laugh, but it was a tasty substitute! I realize it doesn't look appetizing either but the brown color is from the cinnamon! Jeez.

I also didn't have enough roasting pans for all of the ramekins so I couldn't bake all of them in the water bath as directed. I found out why the water bath is necessary.... without it, the top of the custard browns slightly and it looks almost as if it already had sugar on it. Oh well, I wasn't serving this to anyone so it didn't matter. This one was obviously done with the water bath. I love the little flecks of vanilla beans.
The custards baked up and I left them in the fridge overnight. The following evening, R came over with the torch. We dusted them with sugar and went at it.


He went a little crazy with the sugar so it is more burned-looking than it should be. He gave his seal of approval though. He was ready to eat 3 of them!


Good GF points = 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...