Thursday, January 28, 2010

Christmas Treats, Part 2

In part 2 of the Jen Wong Christmas Treats story, I bring you the second candy-like item I made for the holiday ...


Oreo Truffles!!

Sooooo easy! I had seen the recipe floating around the internet for a couple of years now but never had an opportunity to make them. I seem to be a last-minute baker who is making something the night before an event and since these required refrigeration, they usually got pushed off for another occasion.

Like the peanut butter cups, there is no baking required and they are super easy. THREE INGREDIENTS! Just Oreos, cream cheese, and chocolate.

Since I'm a Trader Joe's fan, I bought Jo-Jo's, the chocolate-sandwich cookies that strangely resemble Oreos... This time of year they also have a mint version so I decided to make mint oreo truffles as well.

Oreo Truffles (from Kraft)

1 package (1 lb. 2 oz.) Oreo Cookies, finely crushed, divided
1 8 oz package cream Cheese, softened [I used light]
1 lb dark chocolate

Remove 6 Oreos. Grind in a food processor into crumbs. Set aside.

Grind the remaining Oreos and cream cheese in a food processor. Refrigerate at least one hour.

Roll into 1" balls.

Dip balls into melted chocolate. Coat until covered, then remove and let dry on waxed paper. Sprinkle reserved cookie crumbs on top of truffle. Refrigerate until set.

Store leftover truffles in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.

Peppermint variation!

For the mint version, I used mint Jo-Jos, and added about a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the chocolate coating. I sprinkled crushed peppermint candies on top for decoration.

I used forks to roll the balls around in chocolate, which worked well, but I had some trouble with fork tine-marks along the sides of some of them. Just noting in case beauty is an issue...



They were so well-received, I had to make more the following weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I might makes these tomorrow... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah these were fantastic. I'm waiting for christmas treats part three: orange truffle cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously just tryed to make these and dipping the truffle into the chocolate was a nightmare. I might just leave Jen to do these for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww... sorry Steph! They are kind of tricky to roll around and get everything coated without it falling apart. I'll happily make you some next time.

    Kameran - no chocolate orange cookie post for me because I forgot to take pictures! Doh. I emailed you the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...